Saturday, July 25, 2015

Summer 2015 Tour of Old Florida


Two years after the release of my book and I am pleased to find I am still in demand as a presenter. The main thing I've learned from my talks statewide is that my most rewarding moments come from connecting to the audience. And I seem to have great audiences wherever I go...

Some highlights from earlier this year include: 
When I arrived in Tarpon Springs, for a second speaking engagement, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Lunch and Learn program had sold out! After a great talk, I spent some time shopping for antiques, and found a great gift for my wife's birthday. I look forward to learning more about the Greek cultural influences in that historical town in the future.

My February Myth and Magic talk in Gainesville with the remarkable Margaret Tolbert was a huge success, with a standing room only crowd, and many great friends showed up. It is hugely rewarding to receive compliments from people I greatly admire at the end of a talk.

In Green Cove Springs, my wife and I were treated to a tour of the historic spring and the 'lost' site of Magnolia Springs. The Clay County Historical Society overwhelmed us with hospitality and kindness.

I also did presentations in Ocala, Enterprise, Deltona, Lake Alfred, and Viera. After the Enterprise event I met some Facebook friends in person for the first time, and the result was the Spring Hunters, a Facebook group with almost 2,500 members. In addition, I presented at the "Give Springs A Break" program at Ginnie Springs, at USF in Tampa, to a class of 4th graders in Orlando, and I did a talk about "Being in the Flow" at my church.

The Women's Bath House at the Jefferson Pools in Warm Springs, VA

I took June off in order to take a much overdue vacation. The highlight was taking the waters at the historical Jefferson Pools of Warm Springs, Virginia. My self-proclaimed Magical Memories Summer Tour began in mid-July with a great stop at the tiny town of Reddick in Marion County. The mayor showed us the New Deal-era gymnasium and the library soon filled with an attentive crowd. Afterwards they shared memories of swimming in Magnesia Springs and one person told us her mom made the costumes for the Weeki Wachee mermaids.

A week later I got out of my comfort zone for my first presentation that was not connected to my book in over a year. My talk "From Sand Mountain to the Coral Castle: Roadside Attractions and the Dixie Highway" helped launch the the Polk County History Museum's new exhibit about the Dixie Highway. Again my wife and I were moved by a kind, supportive audience.

I love it when folks share firsthand memories of the places I talk about. Some of these historical sites no longer exist, and when I hear about them from someone who knew them firsthand, it is extremely rewarding. Those are magical moments of connection that keep me motivated!

The PechaKucha this Friday in Orlando will give me an opportunity to connect to large crowds, two audiences of around 300 people! Tickets are still on sale for the second show. Learn more here.

Coming up this fall: Micanopy, Dunnellon, St. Augustine, Brooksville, and Lake City!

No comments:

Post a Comment